Plums are one of the very popular fruit here in my area. But main problem with plum is that it gets ripened up quickly, so this time I decided to preserve plums and now I can use these for long time. I decided to make this sweet, tangy plum sauce/chutney. It took around 1.5 hrs for me and this is what I came up with.
What you need:
- 1 Kg plums (ripened).
- 1 cup sugar (you can adjust as per your taste).
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- Few fresh mint leaves.
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Total time required : 1.5 hrs (preparation + cooking)
- Wash plums thoroughly with warm water.
- De-seed them and chop them roughly.
- Take heavy bottomed pan and add plums to it ;cook on slow flame till plums gets softened.
- Add sugar to plums and cook on low flame for about 5 mins till whole of the sugar gets dissolved.
- Add fresh mint leaves and spices to the mixture keep it aside for 5 mins.
- Strain the complete mixture, you will get nice plum puree.
- Put the mixture back on the flame and reduce it in order to get thick consistency (Sauce like).
- Let it cool down for few mins and after that preserve in airtight jars.
Tip: You can store this sauce is refrigerator for few weeks if you want to preserve this for long then you can use Sodium Benzoate or Citric Acid as preservative.
There are fixed recipes which we follow with little variation for regular cooking. You will be surprised to know that little variations in these can lay down a path to good health and fitness. Let’s start with the basic things that we use in routine.
1. Dairy Products.
There are various of dairy products which we use like milk, yoghurt,butter, mayonnaise etc.
What you can do to make them healthier and fruitful?
- Swap mayonnaise with low fat yoghurt you can add herbs or your choice to it which will make it more tastier.
- Use Skimmed or low fat variants of milk instead of full cream milk which contains less fat and same amount of essential nutrients.
- Use yoghurt in fruit salads and other recipes instead of heavy dressings to make them delicious and low cal.
The main source of carbohydrates are cereals, sugar from artificial as well as natural sources.
How you can improve quality of carbohydrates ?
- Use natural sweeteners in place of artificial one; you can also go for fruit based desserts too.
- Improve the fibre content in diet by using multigrain, whole wheat or oats.
- You can also use oats in regular smoothies which will improve the quality and consistency .
3. Vegetables & fruits.
One should include at least 6-7 servings of different fruits and vegetables in their diet.
How you can select the best options?
- Add rainbow to your diet , use fruits and vegetables of different colors.
- Always prefer to use seasonal varieties which are fresh and friendly for pocket.
- Add more herbs (parsley, coriander, mint etc) to your soups n salads for better taste, appearance and great aroma.
These small tips can definitely improve the quality of food intake by providing better nutritional level essential for complete health and fitness.